About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

7 April 2018

Corduroy Dress, or How Not to Sew New Pants


Few weeks ago, to be exact on the first Sunday of March, after a nice concert in our Musical Comedy Theatre, I didn't want to go home too soon and, of course, dropped in one of hobby stores in the centre of my city. I was in a playful mood so, after looking around the fabric department and noticing a piece of wine red corduroy, at once decided to buy 1.5 m to sew trousers of it. What can be wrong with corduroy? Thick ridges visually add some weight :-) But it can have much worse features. For example, it can pull like a magnet any fibres or, if used for making trousers, stretch on the knees. This fabric was surely of good quality so I followed my impulse and bought that piece. (I wish it was the only fabric I had purchased then but it doesn't concern the case:-))
When I came home and shared my plan with mum, she asked why I needed such trousers as the corduroy had thick ridges and would make me look fat :-) My answer that I liked the fabric, didn't seem to be very firm, so she suggested making a dress of the material. I asked why I needed such a dress and her idea was it would suit me better in that way. Probably my playful mood had evaporated by that moment because I started thinking over the design of a long-sleeved dress, as the fabric is thick and heavy indeed, that had to be created of 1.5 m of the corduroy :-)


All about the bracelet is here.


Сукня з вельвету, або Як не пошити нові штани



Декілька тижнів тому, а точніше першої неділі березня, мені не дуже хотілося швидко повертатися додому після гарного концерту в нашому театрі Музичної Комедії тож, звісно, я зазирнула в одну з крамниць для рукотврниць в центрі мого міста. Я була в грайливому настрої і, озирнувшись навколо у відділі тканини та помітивши вельвет винно-червоного кольору, одразу вирішила купити півтора метри і пошити з нього штани. Що такого поганого може бути у вельветі? Товсті ребра тканини візуально можуть додавати вагу :-) Але можуть бути і набагато гірші риси. Наприклад, вельвет, як магніт, може притягувати різні волокна, або, якщо пошити з нього штани, може витягуватися на колінах. Ця тканина вже напевно була гарної якості тож я піддалася імпульсу і купила відріз. (Хотілося б що то була єдина тканина, яку я тоді купила, але це вже цієї справи не стосується:-))
Коли я приїхала додому і поділилася планом з мамою, вона запитала навіщо мені такі штани адже вельвет з товстими ребрами повнить :-) Моя відповідь, що мені подобається тканина, мабуть була не дуже переконливою, тож вона запропонувала пошити з цього вельвету сукню. Звісно, я запитала, навіщо мені така сукня, тоді мама припустила, що у вигляді сукні це лічитиме мені краще. Скоріш за все на той момент мій грайливий настрій вже випарувався, бо я стала обмірковувати пошив сукні з довгим рукавом, оскільки тканина справді товста і важка, на яку мало вистачити півтора метри вельвету :-)


Все про браслет тут.



As I could imagine clearly what was possible to sew of such quantity of the material, the pattern #103 from Burda 10/2017 was found pretty quickly because the magazine was still on my working table after last sewing project

Despite I liked the dress I wasn't going to sew it. At least now. But this happened. The dress has quite tight fitting in the top part and quite loose silhouette around hips, it makes the outfit comfortable enough but the fabric shouldn't be too soft to keep the shape of the skirt so corduroy is a good choice.


Оскільки я добре уявляла, що можна пошити з такої кількості тканини, модель 103 з Burda 10/2017 знайшлася дуже швидко, тому що журнал все ще лежав на моєму робочому столі після останнього кравецького проекту.
Хоча мені сукня подобалася, я її не збиралася шити. Принаймні зараз. Але трапилося. Сукня має прилягання у верхній частині і доволі вільний силует навколо стегон, що робить її достатньо комфортною, але потребує не дуже м'якої тканини, щоб трималася форма спідниці, тому вельвет - те що треба.




I lengthened the dress for about 7 cm and the sleeves were cut bias. The neck hole was shortened for 3 cm.


Я подовжила сукню десь на 7 см, а рукава покроїла на косу нитку. Горловину вкоротила на 3 см.









Surprisingly confusing part of the sewing for me turned out to be inserting the zipper. I didn't think it would take me almost half a day. 





На мій подив, втачування блискавки виявилося для мене клопіткою частиною роботи.  Не думала, що у мене на це піде півдня. 










To hem the sleeves I cut cuffs. I got them pretty wide so if it is cold, they can be unrolled but the pile direction will be wrong then :-)


Щоб обробити низ рукава, я покроїла манжети. Вони вийшли доволі широкі, тож, якщо холодно, їх можна розвернути, але тоді напрямок ворсу буде неправильний :-)





And the last detail. My zipper was very long so after cutting it I wanted to process the edge neatly.




І остання деталь. Блискавка у мене була дуже довга, я її обрізала і постаралася охайно обробити край. 



6 comments: