About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

3 July 2017

Shift Dress, or Poppies' Dance


As soon as I complained for the heat that suppresses my wish to sew, the tailor's pride forced me to come back to the acting at once.  And by the Saturday's night I'd already had a new dress :-) So I am not sure what deserves my gratitude for the inspiration: either the poppies or that whining :-)

Poppies are one of my favourite flowers. Their petals are transparent, tender and silky by touch. Red poppies talk about passion and the pink about gentleness. Their blooming is short but so bright and their lives go on after fading: who doesn't like poppy pies... especially at Christmas... well... I have dodged the topic... So, either we see their rich blooming in the meadow or in the garden none of the flowers is able to eclipse their beauty and they can't but attract attention. Poppies are poppies.

Generally, I had no chance to pass indifferently by this fabric with so joyful print, the flowers of which as if are spinning in an ardent dance and invite all of us to join them:-)



Літня сукня, або Маків танок



Варто мені було поскаржитися на спеку що пригнічує моє бажання шити, як гордість кравчині примусила одразу ж взятися до справи і на кінець суботи я вже була з новою сукнею :-) Тож і не знаю, чому завдячувати за натхнення: чи то  макам чи тому скигленню:-)
Маки - одні з моїх улюблених квітів. Їхні пелюстки прозорі, тендітні і шовковисті на дотик. Червоні маки говорять про пристрасть, а рожеві - про ніжність. Цвітіння їх недовге, але таке яскраве, а життя продовжується і після в'янення: хто ж не любе пироги з маком... особливо на Різдво... хмм... щось я відволіклася від теми... Отже, чи бачимо ми їхнє щедре цвітіння у полі чи в садку, жодна квітка не може затьмарити їхньої краси, і не помітити їх неможливо, маки - то маки.
Тож нічого дивного немає в тому, що я не змогла байдуже пройти мимо тканини з таким веселим візерунком, квіти якого наче кружляють у запальному танку і запрошують до нього всіх навколо:-)



It must be mentioned, they spin quite asymmetrically. And it means certain difficulties for the cutting. I know a lot about cutting the fabrics: with the same, opposite or chaotic direction of print, with small big symmetric and asymmetric patterns. In this case the pattern is big and asymmetric. It supposes that the symmetry can be only conditional, the fashion should have as less seams as possible and it is worth avoioding fitting silhouettes. I only wonder why the fabric's producers, who surely know about all that much more than I, don't take all that into consideration.




Кружляють вони, треба обмовитися,  асиметрично. І це означає певні складнощі для крою. Я багато знаю про крій тканин: з однаковим, різним і хаотичним напрямками візерунків, з великими і маленькими симетричними і несиметричними рапортами малюнків. В даному випадку візерунок великий, розташований в одному напрямку і асиметричний. Це означає, що симетрія може бути лише умовна, фасон не має містити зайвих швів і варто уникати прилягаючого силуету. Мені тільки цікаво чому виробники тканин, а вони ж напевно знають про все це більше ніж я, на все це не зважають.




Having in mind all said above, to sew a dress with this fabric I chose pattern #108 from Burda 6/2016. I omitted a zipper and left a short slit in the centre back seam. I also neglected the pockets, just because was short of fabric (but I wasn't sad about that:-)). The pockets are made exactly like in this pants. I had some doubts as for adding bands into the reliefs but then refused from any as well. For such fabric the less cutting it has the better.
And now let's come back to the print. If to keep the rules of the cutting properly, the back must be cut with the same approximate symetry as the front. But in this case, one length of the fabric would never be enough for such a design and twice more fabric must be bought and there would be a lot of remnants. So one must choose either to keep the rules or let the flowers dance in their free way :-) I chose the latter, of course.





Взявши до уваги все вище згадане, щоб пошити сукню з цієї тканини, я обрала модель 108 з Burda 6/2016. Відмовилася від "блискавки", а залишила невеличкий розріз в середньому шві спинки. Також моя сукня не має кишень, просто тому що у мене не вистачило тканини (але мене це і не засмутило:-)). Кишені робляться так само як у цих штанях. Були у мене сумніви щодо додавання кантів у рельєфи, але від них я теж відмовилася. Для такої тканини чим менше деталей, тим краще.
А тепер повертаємося до візерунку. Якщо дотримуватися правил крою, спинка сукні повинна мати таку саму приблизну симетрію як і передня частина, але  в такому випадку однієї довжини сукні ніколи не вистачить на пошив і треба купувати вдвічі більше тканини і залишиться багато  рештків. Тож є два виходи: або дотримуватися правил або дозволити тим квітам танцювати вільним стилем:-) Звісно, я обрала друге.




While sewing at first I stitched the side seams, then processed the arm holes.
If I made pockets, I would join the side seams partly from the arm holes down for about 5-10 cm, then processed the arm holes and then the pockets.



Під час пошиття спочатку зшила бокові шви, потім обробила пройми.
Якби робила кишені, я б частково зшила бокові шви на 5-10 см від пройм вниз, потім обробила б пройми і потім - кишені.




To fasten the dress I made a loop with fabric and sewed it to the top of the centre back slit.

Щоб застібати сукню, зробила петлю з тканини і пришила її до верху розрізу середнього шва спинки.



My fabric is soft staple which seems to repeat every movement of the flowers so before cutting o the facings  I reinforced the whole piece of the fabric, then cut the details.



Моя тканина - це м'який штапель, який, здається, рухається разом з тими квітами тож перед викроюванням обшивок, я продублювала цілий клаптик тканини, а вже потім їх кроїла.



And these are our summer dances:-)


Ось такі у нас літні танці:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment